Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Redneck in the Suburbs

October 24, 2009 Saturday

Bryan went hunting this morning. A little after 7am, he called to say he shot a 2 point buck (with a .44 magnum revolver) at 40 yards. A friend of his helped him haul it to his truck in a wheelbarrow, and he brought it home.
Mircea was VERY excited. She could not wait to eat it! She would tell us she was hungry and that it looked yummy!
Bryan then explains to me that the whole purpose of the play set that he built was so he could hang his animals off of it. So, he gutted it and skinned it in the back yard and then I took it to the butcher to cut it up and package it (Mircea went with me--she was worried I might get to eat it before she would--she was quite disappointed when she realized we couldn't eat it that day. At the butcher shop other hunters were dropping off their deer as well, and would ask me if I shot it--I was tempted to say yes, but remained honest instead.)
Mircea now tells Bryan, "When I grow big I will go hunting with you!"

I'm glad Bry got himself a camera--otherwise this picture would never have existed!
To sum it up--it was quite an exciting morning! (no sleeping in on this Saturday)

Getting ready to gut the deer

Putting the swinset to use

Hooray for Daddy!

Wow! our backyard looks so classy!

This was his first time skinning a deer

The butcher and other hunters thought he did an awesome job skinning his deer!

We are looking forward to getting our meat from the butcher. Obviously we will be making Chili, and we plan to make our own jerky, and maybe we will make summer sausage. . . I am looking forward to using it in our regular casseroles as well. (It is quite satisfying to have a freezer full of meat!)

3 comments:

Grumpy and Dayka said...

HA! I am a deer hunter how do you do? I gos a deer huntin' stor for you!! :>)
Actually we wish there were MORE deer hunters - so there would be LESS deer jumping in front of vehicles! :>) AND consuming our corn fields... alfalfa fields... ... ....
Way to go Bry !!
HUGS, from Daka and Grumpy

Grumpy and Dayka said...

Too bad they don't let one edit AFTER they post!! Suppose you are to do that BEFORE you post!! What a novel idea! :>)
But the words should be I gots a deer huntin' story for you!! :>)sigh... sorry :>)
Daka

Lainey said...

This is great, I feel like I am back home amoung my own kin. :)